1 medium spaghetti squash
1 1/2 lbs. Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
1 Teaspoon garlic powder
1 bunch kale
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp pine nuts, roasted
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place squash in the microwave for 3-4 minutes to soften. (I love this trick SO much easier to cut)
2. Using a sharp knife cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard.
3. Place the halves, with the cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until you can poke the squash easily with a fork. Let cool until you can handle it safely.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the kale by removing the center stems and either tearing or cutting up the leaves.
6. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
7. Add the chicken sausage and break apart with a spatula to crumble. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring regularly, until the sausage is browned and cooked through. Add the kale and stir. Cook for a few minutes more to wilt the kale. Remove from heat and set aside.
8. Once cooled, scrape the insides of the spaghetti squash with a fork to shred the squash into strands. Transfer the strands into the skillet with the sausage and toss to combine.
9. Cook for a couple minutes and Season to taste with salt and pepper.
10. Divide the mixture among the squash shells, and then top with pine nuts and parsley to serve.